Centro Ecoturístico La Máquina
- Where to Go
- The Best of Nicaragua
- Nicaragua’s Best Surfing
- Hiking Nicaragua’s Ring of Fire
- Nicaraguan Arts & Crafts
- Nicaragua’s Great Green North
- Sportfishing in Nicaragua
- Down the Río San Juan
- Nicaragua’s Celebrations & Fiestas
- Volunteering in Nicaragua
- Diving & Snorkeling in Nicaragua
- Managua’s Revolutionary Driving Tour
This is one of the “private wild reserves” protected by MARENA and managed by the landowners; La Máquina remains almost completely unvisited by tourists. The views from the waterfall are gorgeous and the area is great for hiking and camping. There is a cheap food stand and a shallow bathing area; short hiking trails lead through the forest.
La Máquina is located halfway (15 minutes) between Diriamba and the ocean, around Km 58. Buses pass the entrance all day long in both directions. The reserve is open daylight hours, entrance is $1.50, and it’s closed Mondays.
© Randall Wood & Joshua Berman from Moon Nicaragua, 4th Edition