Hotels and Resorts
- Where to Go
- The Best of Nicaragua
- Nicaragua’s Best Surfing
- Hiking Nicaragua’s Ring of Fire
- Nicaraguan Arts & Crafts
- Nicaragua’s Great Green North
- Sportfishing in Nicaragua
- Down the Río San Juan
- Nicaragua’s Celebrations & Fiestas
- Volunteering in Nicaragua
- Diving & Snorkeling in Nicaragua
- Managua’s Revolutionary Driving Tour
San Juan del Sur’s lodging runs the gamut from grungy to luxe. The cheapest hospedajes are near the center of town, are Nicaraguan owned, and are usually extensions of someone’s home. You may not encounter much of a “scene” at these places and a knock on the front door may be necessary if you return late at night.
The beachfront road has a few nicer hotels and many of San Juan’s restaurants and bars. It is safe to assume that nicer hotels have backup generators and water tanks, but you should still ask unless you don’t mind the occasional candlelit bucket bath.
Note: During the high season (New Year’s and Easter) hotel prices double or even triple the rates listed here.
© Randall Wood & Joshua Berman from Moon Nicaragua, 4th Edition