Peruvian Adrenaline Rush
Whether it’s climbing ice, rock, or mountains, surfing point breaks, mountain biking, sandboarding, trekking, kayaking, or rafting, Peru has the adventure travel experience you’re looking for.
From the snowcapped Cordillera Blanca and the sand dunes in the Ica Desert to the brilliant green waters of Lake Titicaca and the rivers of the Amazon, Peru has something for every adrenaline junkie.
Cusco and the Sacred Valley
- Kayak and raft on the Río Apurímac.
- Parapent off the rim of the Sacred Valley with Wayra, an outfitter near Urubamba.
- Take a horseback ride to Maras and Moray.
- Rock climb outside Cusco at the Via Ferrata, a system of ropes on a 300-meter rock face.
- Trek around Ausangate.
- Climb the highly technical glaciers and peaks of the Cordillera Vilcanota.
- Mountain bike in the high plains around Paucartambo, through cloud forests, and into the Manu basin.
Lake Titicaca and Canyon Country
- Sea kayak across Lake Titicaca, the world’s highest navigable lake.
- Trek, mountain bike, hike, and raft in the Colca and Cotahuasi Canyons, twice the depth of the Grand Canyon.
- Break the 6,000-meter mark by climbing the snow-covered Chachani volcano outside Arequipa.
- Raft and kayak down the Río Tambopata, a 10-day journey from the high Andes to the Amazon.
- Ride a zip line through the jungle canopy at the Tahuayo Lodge near Iquitos.
- Mountain bike from the high Andes into the Manu basin.
- Paraglide along the seaside bluffs of Miraflores, the coastal suburb of Lima.
- Hit world-class breaks Punta Rocas and Punta Hermosa.
- Ride Peruvian paso horses near Mamacona, on excursions around the ceremonial center of Pachacámac.
- Hit the rock climbing wall at Millennium Gym.
- Explore the Pacific Ocean between Ancón and Cerro Azul aboard a sea kayak.
Huaraz and the Cordillera Blanca
- Climb perfect granite fissures and summit out on Huascarán, Latin America’s second-highest peak.
- Kayak and raft the Río Santa.
- Mountain bike the Cordillera Negra.
- Trek past Alpamayo, voted the world’s most beautiful mountain.
Trujillo and the North Coast
© Ross Wehner and Renée del Gaudio from Moon Peru, 3rd Edition