Ebenezer Maxwell Mansion
200 W. Tulpehocken St., 215/438-1861
HOURS: Hours vary, call ahead
Built in 1859 by clothing merchant Ebenezer Maxwell, the elaborate stone Ebenezer Maxwell Mansion is a classic example of the Victorian architecture that became popular in the mid-19th-century. At the time, a new railroad made it possible to quickly commute from Germantown to Center City, establishing Germantown as a fashionable residence for wealthy Philadelphians.
When Germantown officially became part of the city as a result of Consolidation in 1854, buildings like this were springing up all over the rapidly developing neighborhood. The tower, long windows, landscaped gardens, and hand-painted ceilings were typical of the expensive Victorian homes of the day.
While many of the homes on this very block were probably equally impressive in their heyday, the Ebenezer Maxwell Mansion is the only one open to the public. It contains a small exhibit space highlighting its history.
© Karrie Gavin from Moon Philadelphia, 1st Edition