El Cañuelo (end of Carr. 870 on Isla de Cabras, Toa Alta, daily 8:30 a.m.–5:30 p.m., $2) is the ruins of a tiny fortress across the bay from El Morro. Originally constructed of wood in the 1500s, it was destroyed in an attack by the Dutch in 1625. The current stone structure was built in the 1670s. El Cañuelo’s purpose was to work in concert with El Morro to create cannon crossfire at the mouth of the bay.
Unfortunately, the public is not allowed to enter El Cañuelo, but it provides a terrific view of El Morro. There’s a small recreation area with picnic tables.
© Suzanne Van Atten from Moon Puerto Rico, 2nd Edition