Mabry-Hazen House Museum
The Mabry-Hazen House Museum (1711 Dandridge Ave., 865/522-8661, www.mabryhazen.com, Wed.–Fri. 11 a.m.–5 p.m., Sat. 10 a.m.–3 p.m., adults $5, seniors $4.50, students K–12 $2.50) is located on a pleasant rise in East Knoxville. The handsome home, with green shutters and a wide porch, housed three generations of the same family from 1858 to 1987, and served as headquarters for both Confederate and Union troops during the Civil War.
Since 1992 it has been open to the public for tours. The Mabry name comes from Joseph Alexander Mabry Jr., a businessman who donated the land for Market Square and owned the Knoxville Whig from 1869 to 1870. The murders of Mabry and his son on Gay Street in 1882 were documented in Mark Twain’s work, Life on the Mississippi.
Mabry’s daughter, Alice Mabry, married Rush Strong Hazen, a wealthy businessman. The third generation to live in the house was Evelyn Montgomery Hazen, who helped author the Harbrace College Handbook, a reference guide for generations of English students.
© Susanna Henighan Potter from Moon Tennessee, 5th Edition