Knoxville’s Confederate Memorial Hall, better known as Bleak House (3148 Kingston Pk., 865/522-2371, www.knoxvillecmh.org, Wed.–Fri. 1–4 p.m., adults $5, seniors $4) was Gen. James Longstreet’s headquarters during the Battle of Fort Sanders and other Civil War battles that took place from November to December 1863. Built in 1858 for Robert Houston and Louisa Armstrong, the Italian villa–style home was named after the popular Charles Dickens novel of the day.
Visitors may be given a tour, which includes the tower where legend has it Confederate sharpshooters were stationed during the Civil War. There is a museum that includes Confederate artifacts.
© Susanna Henighan Potter from Moon Tennessee, 5th Edition