There is a prominent Hawaiian saying about Maui: Maui no ka oi. “Maui is the best.” Residents and visitors alike can agree that there is something special—even magical—about Hawai‘i’s second largest island. Yet it’s hard to pinpoint exactly one thing that places Maui among the most dreamed-of vacation locations in the world.
Planning Your Trip
West Maui: Scour the historic relics of Lahaina, swim with reef fish at Napili Bay, stand-up paddleboard along the Ka‘anapali shoreline, or enjoy the sunset from an oceanfront lu‘au.
Central Maui: Although the backdrop of the verdant mountains and the turquoise water along the shoreline creates a tranquil scene, Central Maui’s underlying charm and its history makes it anything but passive.
South Maui: If one word defines South Maui, it’s “beaches.” South Maui is graced with dozens of sandy stretches waiting for your footprints.
More Area Overviews
Maui Trip Itineraries
- The Best Snorkeling and Diving in the Hawaiian Islands
- The Best Surfing in the Hawaiian Islands (For All Skill Levels)
- The Beaches of Lahaina: A Sunbather’s Paradise
- Maui’s Best Beaches
Other Maui Recreation
- Scuba Diving in South Maui: Ma’alaea Dive Sites and Charters
- Horseback Riding and Bird-Watching in Central Maui
Other Maui Articles
Photo at top © Deborah Kolb/123rf.