For a 727-square mile island, there’s no shortage of things to do in Maui. Sure, the most popular daydream about Maui involves a sandy beach, a lounge chair and a mai tai, and while we agree that’s a pretty good way to spend an afternoon, there are a lot more traveler favorites that don’t make to the big-screen picture.
Imagine a hike through a dense bamboo forest to the refreshing dip in the cool waters as falls cascade around you. An easy morning snorkeling surrounded by underwater life, an afternoon of adrenaline-fuelled surfing, an evening with the water aflame from the calmest of sunsets. Stroll the streets of Old Makawao Town, browse the boutiques yourself or kick back against a hitching post and people-watch as art-enthusiasts and passionate fashionistas find their treasures. Picture a sweeping overview of the island from a helicopter, spotting all the places you’ve been and the ones you’ve yet to go.
Better make a list. You’ll be back.
Planning Your Trip
West Maui: Scour the historic relics of Lahaina, swim with reef fish at Napili Bay, stand-up paddleboard along the Ka‘anapali shoreline, or enjoy the sunset from an oceanfront lu‘au.
Central Maui: Although the backdrop of the verdant mountains and the turquoise water along the shoreline creates a tranquil scene, Central Maui’s underlying charm and its history makes it anything but passive.
South Maui: If one word defines South Maui, it’s “beaches.” South Maui is graced with dozens of sandy stretches waiting for your footprints.
More Area Overviews
Start with the basics.
Maui Trip Itineraries
Things to do in Maui, and how to do them.
Iconic Maui activities.
- The Best Snorkeling and Diving in the Hawaiian Islands
- The Best Surfing in the Hawaiian Islands (For All Skill Levels)
- The Beaches of Lahaina: A Sunbather’s Paradise
- Maui’s Best Beaches
Other Maui Recreation
Unique outdoor ideas.
- Scuba Diving in South Maui: Ma’alaea Dive Sites and Charters
- Horseback Riding and Bird-Watching in Central Maui
Other Maui Articles
More things to do in Maui. (We promised there were lots.)
- 10 Common Questions About Hawaii’s Humpback Whales
- Tropical Gardens of Central Maui
- Visit Two Hawaiian Islands in One Week
- Live Music and Dancing in Kihei’s “Barmuda” Triangle
- Maui Restaurants: The Best of Kihei
- How to Find a Great Vacation Rental in Hawaii
- Hawai‘i’s Best Historical and Cultural Sites
- 10 Budget-Friendly Maui Travel Tips
- Maui Helicopter Rides and Flightseeing Tours
- 10 Tips for Driving the Road to Hana
- Shopping on Maui: The Treasures of Old Makawao Town
- Discover the Secret to Maui’s Allure
Photo at top © Deborah Kolb/123rf.