Big city, big beaches, big fun. While exceptional urban cuisine and a pulsing nightlife might not be the first thing that springs to mind when you think of O’ahu, this island has it all in spades. There’s plenty of history and fine art to keep urbanites feeling at home, and there’s no end to outdoor activities from surfing the bright blue waves to hiking lush verdant mountains to feed your spirit of adventure. That’s truly the best part of O’ahu travel: you can start your day in the city, hit the beach before noon, and be back in town for fine dining before the sun sets.
With 112 miles of coastline, two north-south mountain ranges, bustling historic districts and a vibrant city, from big budgets to small, for leisure travelers to adventure seekers, there’s a best of O’ahu travel for everyone. Find yours.
Planning Your Trip
Waikiki: For first-time O‘ahu travelers and many returning visitors, Waikiki is the perfect home base.
Honolulu: Many of the activities in Honolulu, whether sightseeing in the Historic District or hiking in the Ko‘olau Mountains, require at least a half day’s time.
North Shore: No matter if it’s summer or winter, rain or shine, the North Shore shouldn’t be missed and can’t be rushed.
O‘ahu Trip Itineraries
There’s a lot to do in O’ahu. These suggested itineraries cover a variety of tastes and budgets.
- Hawaii Itinerary: The Two-Week All-Island Trip
- See the Best of O‘ahu in Seven Days
- A Day at Diamond Head
- Honeymoon in O‘ahu: Best Romantic Places to Stay, Dine, and Relax
Recreation in O‘ahu
Beach and ocean activities are a cornerstone of daily island life, and of O’ahu travel too.
- The Best Snorkeling and Diving in the Hawaiian Islands
- The Best Surfing in the Hawaiian Islands (For All Skill Levels)
- The Best Spots for Snorkeling and Diving in O‘ahu
- Golfing in Central and Suburban O‘ahu
- Hiking, Biking, and Bird-Watching in Leeward O‘ahu
- Snorkeling vs. Surfing in O‘ahu: The Importance of Weather
Other O‘ahu Articles
But there’s more to O’ahu than a daily dip in the Pacific.
- Hawai‘i’s Best Historical and Cultural Sites
- Festivals and Events in Honolulu
- Last-Minute Travel Tips for Visiting O‘ahu This Winter
- Visiting O‘ahu: Where and When to Go
- Beaches in Waikiki
- O‘ahu: Military History and Pearl Harbor Sights
- Finding a Vacation Rental in Waikiki
- Discover O‘ahu: The Heartbeat of the Hawaiian Islands
Photo at top © Chad Zuber/123rf.