Emmaus Moravian Church
Handsome Emmaus Moravian Church overlooking Coral Bay was built by German Moravian missionaries who arrived in the Danish West Indies in 1732 to minister to the slaves. The Emmaus manse was built around 1750, and the original church was constructed in 1782. Both were rebuilt after a destructive hurricane in 1916. The masonry foundation, which survived the storm, was built of rubble, ballast brick, and coral.
The one-story Emmaus Moravian Church holds a belfry attached to the west end. The property on which the church sits was once owned by the Danish governor, Thomas de Malleville, who deeded it to the Moravians in 1782 after he converted to the faith.
This is still an active congregation (340/776-6713), but visitors are welcome to look around, as long as a service is not taking place.
© Susanna Henighan Potter from Moon Virgin Islands, 4th edition