- Where to Go
- The Best of Milwaukee and Madison
- The Best Wisconsin Weekends
- A Perfect Week in Door County
- Wisconsin for Recreationists
- Rustic Road Tripping
- Made in Milwaukee
- Madison Weekend
- Sports: The Packers and Beyond
- Out on the Town in Milwaukee
- Say Cheese!
- Four Days in the Mad City
- A Wisconsin Family Road Trip
- Wisconsin’s Best Brews
The generally gravelly shoreline is rimmed with parks and beaches: Schoolhouse Beach in Washington Harbor, with tough and chilly swimming in a secluded setting (and extraordinarily smooth stone!); the Ridges in Jackson Harbor; and Percy Johnson Park on the eastern side at the tip of Lakeview Road, offering vistas of Hog Island and a nesting sanctuary. None allow camping.
Inland is where you’ll find the two interesting parks. A small picnic area and park is adjacent to the airport, of all places, and people head out with a lunchtime sandwich to watch the odd plane arrival. To get there, take Main Road north, then Town Line Road east to Airport Road. The most commanding views of all are at the 200-foot heights of Mountain Park Lookout, just about the geometric center of the Washington Island.
© Thomas Huhti from Moon Wisconsin, 5th Edition