- Where to Go
- The Best of Milwaukee and Madison
- The Best Wisconsin Weekends
- A Perfect Week in Door County
- Wisconsin for Recreationists
- Rustic Road Tripping
- Made in Milwaukee
- Madison Weekend
- Sports: The Packers and Beyond
- Out on the Town in Milwaukee
- Say Cheese!
- Four Days in the Mad City
- A Wisconsin Family Road Trip
- Wisconsin’s Best Brews
Get your personalized mug filled with one of more than 250 beers and join in a boisterous bout of singalong or polka with lederhosen- and dirndl-clad help at the Essen Haus (514 E. Wilson St., 608/255-4674, 4–10 p.m. Tues.–Thurs., 4-11 p.m. Fri.–Sat., 3–9 p.m. Sun.). A local tradition is to imbibe a boot of beer—a prodigious amount. Oh, yeah, it is a German restaurant too for the sauerbraten deprived.
If that gets too much, the Come Back In (508 E. Wilson St., 608/258-8619), a huge adjoining tavern, is a great place to quaff a tap—for all the world like a subterranean German bierhall.
© Thomas Huhti from Moon Wisconsin, 5th Edition