Steak Houses and Supper Clubs
- Where to Go
- The Best of Milwaukee and Madison
- The Best Wisconsin Weekends
- A Perfect Week in Door County
- Wisconsin for Recreationists
- Rustic Road Tripping
- Made in Milwaukee
- Madison Weekend
- Sports: The Packers and Beyond
- Out on the Town in Milwaukee
- Say Cheese!
- Four Days in the Mad City
- A Wisconsin Family Road Trip
- Wisconsin’s Best Brews
Grazing vegetarians—a dominant sociopolitical force locally—must have been a bit taken aback by the resurgence of the true carnivorous experience downtown. Steak houses with a true-blue throwback, 1950s martinis-and-slabs-era feel now exist, highlighted by the Tornado Steak House (116 S. Hamilton St., 608/256-3570, 5:30–10 p.m. daily, $17–36).
This might be the best nouveau take on the old supper club in town. Steaks are the highlight, but the Friday pan-fried perch are a wonderful option for those non-red-meat lovers. Sunday, wonderfully, is homestyle chicken dinner night.
© Thomas Huhti from Moon Wisconsin, 5th Edition