Canoeing and Water Sports
- Where to Go
- The Best of Milwaukee and Madison
- The Best Wisconsin Weekends
- A Perfect Week in Door County
- Wisconsin for Recreationists
- Rustic Road Tripping
- Made in Milwaukee
- Madison Weekend
- Sports: The Packers and Beyond
- Out on the Town in Milwaukee
- Say Cheese!
- Four Days in the Mad City
- A Wisconsin Family Road Trip
- Wisconsin’s Best Brews
Canoeing magazines also rave about Madison. This comes as little surprise since the city boasts four lakes, the larger two of which—Mendota and Monona—are connected by the Yahara River, a superb ribbony urban stream passing through locks and a series of smaller lakes. The Yahara connects to the Rock River, which itself flows through southern Wisconsin. Factoring in tributaries of the Rock leading westward to the Ol’ Miss, technically, you could paddle all the way to the Big Easy!
Wingra Boats (824 Knickerbocker St., 608/233-5332) rents boats, canoes, kayaks and sailboats, and also gives lessons; find them at Vilas Park next to the Henry Vilas Zoo.
© Thomas Huhti from Moon Wisconsin, 5th Edition