Vegetarian and Health Food
- Where to Go
- The Best of Milwaukee and Madison
- The Best Wisconsin Weekends
- A Perfect Week in Door County
- Wisconsin for Recreationists
- Rustic Road Tripping
- Made in Milwaukee
- Madison Weekend
- Sports: The Packers and Beyond
- Out on the Town in Milwaukee
- Say Cheese!
- Four Days in the Mad City
- A Wisconsin Family Road Trip
- Wisconsin’s Best Brews
Barossa (235 S. 2nd St., 414/272-8466, 11:30 a.m.–2 p.m. Mon.–Fri., 5–10 p.m. Sun.– Thurs., 5–11 p.m. Fri.–Sat., Sunday brunch 10 a.m.–3 p.m., late-night menu 10 p.m.–1 a.m. daily, entrées from $6) technically offers carnivorous delights but also plenty of organic vegetarian options, all challenging modern creations.
For takeaway health food, a number of co-ops and natural-foods stores are in the downtown area. The largest is Outpost Natural Foods (100 E. Capitol Dr., 414/961-2597), easily mistaken for any other megagrocery store save for the organically grown veggies, dietary-restriction sections, and juice bar—there are also a good bakery and deli.
© Thomas Huhti from Moon Wisconsin, 5th Edition