Vegetarian and Health Food
- Where to Go
- The Best of Milwaukee and Madison
- The Best Wisconsin Weekends
- A Perfect Week in Door County
- Wisconsin for Recreationists
- Rustic Road Tripping
- Made in Milwaukee
- Madison Weekend
- Sports: The Packers and Beyond
- Out on the Town in Milwaukee
- Say Cheese!
- Four Days in the Mad City
- A Wisconsin Family Road Trip
- Wisconsin’s Best Brews
A longtime Milwaukee standby for a low-key and decidedly body-friendly meal is Beans and Barley (1901 E. North Ave., 414/278-7878, 9 a.m.–9 p.m. Mon.– Sat., till 8 p.m. Sun., $4 and up). Very much a hip (though low-priced) eatery, it’s housed in what smacks of an old grocery store warehouse encased in glass walls from an attached grocery and small bar.
Everything from straight-up diner food to creative vegetarian is on the menu, with Indian and Southwestern options. Juices and smoothies, too.
© Thomas Huhti from Moon Wisconsin, 5th Edition