Schlitz Audubon Nature Center
- Where to Go
- The Best of Milwaukee and Madison
- The Best Wisconsin Weekends
- A Perfect Week in Door County
- Wisconsin for Recreationists
- Rustic Road Tripping
- Made in Milwaukee
- Madison Weekend
- Sports: The Packers and Beyond
- Out on the Town in Milwaukee
- Say Cheese!
- Four Days in the Mad City
- A Wisconsin Family Road Trip
- Wisconsin’s Best Brews
On the far north side of Milwaukee, in Bayside, Schlitz Audubon Nature Center (1111 E. Brown Deer Rd., 414/352-2880, www.sanc.org, 9 a.m.–5 p.m. daily, $4) abuts the edge of Lake Michigan on the grounds of an erstwhile Schlitz brewery horse pasture. A six-mile network of trails winds along the beach and through diverse prairie, woodland, and wetland. An observation tower with parapet offers lake views.
The interpretive center cost a cool $5.5 million, to give it many environmentally friendly features, such as recirculated rain water, sustainable wood resourced from Aldo Leopold’s homestead, solar power panels, and low-flow toilets.
© Thomas Huhti from Moon Wisconsin, 5th Edition