Want to get the most out of your vacation?
Discover volunteer opportunities that range from teaching English to rescuing wild animals, explore various options for ecotours, learn about eco-friendly places to stay—and make a difference.
Amy E. Robertson shares how volunteer vacations convert the tourist into the traveler, allowing you to experience a destination and connect with locals in a new way.
Identifying the right experience depends greatly on knowing yourself and your own expectations. Here are a few questions to consider when looking to volunteer.
Learn more about the many options for your international volunteer experience with projects ranging from community development to agriculture to wildlife protection.
Articles on Volunteering
- Volunteer with Bridges to Community in Nicaragua With an emphasis on shared work and community empowerment, Bridges to Community makes long-term commitments to the communities where it works. Learn how volunteers can help, along with practical details such as how to apply, costs, and requirements.
- Volunteer with Long Way Home in Guatemala Long Way Home’s focus is the promotion of green and alternative building practices. Volunteer work is either physically demanding or educational in nature with children and youth. Learn more about organization and its work, along with practical costs, requirements, and volunteer opportunities.
- Volunteer with Spanish in Bariloche, Argentina Spanish in Bariloche is a language school that works with several different organizations near the busy ski resort town, providing the opportunity to combine formal language lessons with volunteering. Learn about the volunteer work coordinated by the school, the benefits of its programs, along with the practical details and free time activities.
- Volunteer with Spirit of the Andes, Bolivia Spirit of the Andes is a not-for-profit organization that trains indigenous women from marginalized neighborhoods in El Alto, La Paz, and Cochabamba to knit high-quality products from Bolivian alpaca, llama, and cotton yarns.
- Volunteer with Merazonia in Ecuador Merazonia is a dynamic rescue and rehabilitation center for trafficked and abused Amazonian animals. Volunteers work with animals under strict guidelines and help maintain the grounds and enclosures. Learn more about the work, its requirements, and how to apply.
- Volunteer with REMAR Bolivia REMAR Bolivia offers their services freely to anyone in need throughout the country. Learn about volunteer opportunities, costs, requirements, and more.
- Volunteer with Fundación Banco de Alimentos (Food Bank Foundation) Located just outside of Buenos Aires, Fundación Banco de Alimentos serves as a link between food-producing and food-marketing companies, and people with hunger across Greater Buenos Aires.
- Volunteer with ERSLA in Nicaragua Volunteers with Nicaragua’s ERSLA work primarily with community development. All are welcome regardless of their skills and language lessons are available.
- Volunteer with Utila Iguana Conservation Project, Honduras All you need to volunteer with Honduras’s Utila Iguana Conservation Project is a passion for nature. The work includes caring for the iguanas, butterflies, tarantulas, geckos, and other animals at the station, but it can also include teaching, public relations, gardening, maintenance, or ecological research, depending on your skills.
- Volunteer with Endangered Wildlife Trust, Costa Rica Endangered Wildlife Trust is a British nonprofit that owns the Pacuare Nature Reserve, 10.5 square kilometers (2,600 acres) of tropical rainforest on Costa Rica’s northern coast, near Tortuguero.