Want to get the most out of your vacation?
Discover volunteer opportunities that range from teaching English to rescuing wild animals, explore various options for ecotours, learn about eco-friendly places to stay—and make a difference.
Amy E. Robertson shares how volunteer vacations convert the tourist into the traveler, allowing you to experience a destination and connect with locals in a new way.
Identifying the right experience depends greatly on knowing yourself and your own expectations. Here are a few questions to consider when looking to volunteer.
Learn more about the many options for your international volunteer experience with projects ranging from community development to agriculture to wildlife protection.
Articles on Volunteering
- An Introduction to Colombia for Volunteers Colombia is a fairly new frontier for volunteers. Here’s a brief overview of its social, economic & geographic profile for volunteers seeking opportunities.
- An Introduction to Costa Rica for Volunteers Costa Rica offers plenty of volunteer options. Read this quick overview of its ecological and socio-economic setting when deciding which one is for you.
- What to Ask an Organization Before Volunteering Abroad Understanding how a volunteer opportunity is structured and what the organization is offering is a big part of finding the right experience for you. Here are a few questions to consider when looking to volunteer.
- Volunteer Pre-Trip Guide: Latin America Volunteering in Latin America? Be prepared! Here’s some detailed advice for advance planning on packing, transportation, vaccinations, passports, and more.
- What Does a Volunteer Vacation Cost? Before you plan your volunteer vacation, read this guide on the practical costs of voluntourism, how to save money, fundraise for your trip, and more.
- Where to Volunteer in Latin America Choosing where to volunteer in Latin America is as important as the work you’d like to do. Here’s a quick rundown of countries highlighting pros and cons.
- Costa Rica’s Gandoca-Manzanillo National Wildlife Refuge In addition to beaches where sea turtles lay their eggs, the Gandoca-Manzanillo National Wildlife Refuge also protects rare swamp habitats, including the only mangrove forest on Costa Rica’s Caribbean shores.
- Visiting Playa Matapalo on Costa Rica’s Pacific Coast Plan a visit to Playa Matapalo, a beautiful gray-sand beach on the Pacific coast, and the nearby Refugio de Vida Silvestre Ecológico Portalón.
- Volunteer Opportunities and NGOs in Ollantaytambo Want a different sort of vacation? Learn more about several NGOs in Ollantaytambo that are worth contacting if you’re looking for volunteer and homestay opportunities.
- San Isidro de El General in South-Central Costa Rica San Isidro is an agricultural market town, gateway to Parque Nacional Chirripó and Dominical, and a base for white-water rafting. Read more about nature reserves, festivals, and volunteer opportunities in the area.