Want to get the most out of your vacation?
Discover volunteer opportunities that range from teaching English to rescuing wild animals, explore various options for ecotours, learn about eco-friendly places to stay—and make a difference.
Amy E. Robertson shares how volunteer vacations convert the tourist into the traveler, allowing you to experience a destination and connect with locals in a new way.
Identifying the right experience depends greatly on knowing yourself and your own expectations. Here are a few questions to consider when looking to volunteer.
Learn more about the many options for your international volunteer experience with projects ranging from community development to agriculture to wildlife protection.
Articles on Volunteering
- An Introduction to Bolivia for Volunteers Learn about Bolivia’s geography, landscapes, cities, cultures and peoples, plus the wealth of opportunities to combine tourism with volunteer work.
- Volunteer in Mexico: Sexto Sol Center for Community Action Here’s an overview the Sexto Sol Center for Community Action in Mexico, including types of work for volunteers, costs, accommodations, activities & more.
- Volunteer with Fundación Mariposas Amarillas (FMA) in Colombia What to expect when you volunteer with Fundación Mariposas Amarillas (FMA) in Santa Marta, plus costs, opportunities, and types of required work.
- Volunteer with Iracambi in Minas Gerais, Brazil Learn about volunteering with Iracambi in Brazil to preserve the Atlantic Forest. Includes costs, accommodations, projects, free-time activities, and more.
- Volunteering with Awamaki in Ollantaytambo, Peru Learn about the amazing cultural immersion opportunities in volunteering with Awamaki in Ollantaytambo, Peru, along with costs, benefits, and types of work.
- EVOLC (English Volunteers for Change in Costa Rica) For volunteers interested in teaching English, an opportunity with EVOLC provides plenty of opportunity to explore San Jose & nearby Costa Rica areas.
- Volunteering with the Bay Islands Conservation Association In Honduras, the Bay Islands Conservation Association offers research & education opportunities for volunteers. Learn about costs, accommodations, & more.
- An Introduction to Ecuador for Volunteers Learn about Ecuador volunteer opportunities such as animal rehabilitation, conservation, & community support, related fees, a bit of geography & more.
- Volunteering in Panama at APROVACA’s Orchid Nursery If you love working with plants, APROVACA offers a great volunteer vacation opportunity in Panama with plenty of free time activities & free housing.
- Volunteer with Casa de los Ángeles in San Miguel de Allende For volunteers wishing to work with children is Casa de los Ángeles in the Mexican city of San Miguel de Allende. Learn more about the work & costs here.