Want to Move Abroad?
Get essential information on the best places to live, advice on navigating language and culture, and tips on planning a fact-finding trip—all from authors who have already made the move to live or work abroad.
Recent Moon Living Abroad Guides
Living Abroad in Brazil
Living Abroad in Italy
- Italy’s Gay and Lesbian Culture All across Italy are visible and vibrant gay communities. Learn more about Italy’s gay and lesbian culture, including why travel magazines regularly rate Italy as the top destination for gay travelers.
Living Abroad in Japan
- LGBT Culture in Japan Same-sex attraction and love has long been a part of Japanese Buddhism and samurai tradition, according to historical and literary references. Compared to the United States, Japanese society seems rather nonchalant toward gender, as far as dress and mannerisms go.
Other Living Abroad Articles
- LGBT Life in Costa Rica Gay life in Costa Rica is fairly similar to life in the U.S. in that it varies from region to region, city to city, even neighborhood to neighborhood. San José is known as a gay-friendly city, and all around the country there are pockets of openly gay culture.
- Gay and Lesbian Culture in Paris Though the Assemblée Nationale didn’t vote to decriminalize homosexuality until 1982, the closet door has long swung wide open throughout Paris’s history—a tradition that is happily embraced today in legal rights, day-to-day life, and festivals.
- Living in Paris: Housing and Transportation Costs Both renters and buyers will find good housing values in France, but it’s très cher (very expensive) to own a car in France, particularly in the big cities where forking out €50,000 for a permanent parking spot is not unheard of, plus maintenance, fuel, and insurance. Alternative transportation is a must.