Toward the barrio’s north end, the Hotel de Inmigrantes was Argentina’s Ellis Island for European immigrants. From 1911 until 1953, Old World arrivals could spend five nights here before heading into the Argentine unknown.
Building on lessons from earlier mistakes, this reception facility for immigrants was an exemplary institution when it opened. While still a work in progress, the current museum details sample family histories and panels on immigration procedures and the treatment of new arrivals.
At present, the only areas open to the public are the reception area, the dining room, and a small part of the upstairs dormitories. Part of the dining room provides access to a computerized archive on 3.7 million immigrants from 60 countries who arrived by boat after 1882.
The Museo Nacional de la Inmigración (Avenida Antártida Argentina 1355, tel. 011/4317-0285, museodelainmigracion [at] migraciones [dot] gov [dot] ar, free) is open 10 a.m.–5 p.m. weekdays, 11 a.m.–6 p.m. weekends.