This square, between Avenidas Central/2 and Calles 13/15, was built in 1989 to receive visiting presidents attending the Hemispheric Summit. Dominating the plaza is the crenellated 1870 Bellavista Fortress, which today houses the National Museum . On the west side is a bronze statue of Don “Pepe” Figueres.
Remodeled in 2009, the formerly unkempt, dreary plaza has become a pleasant place to hang out. Two blocks south are the buildings of the Judicial Circuit, including the Supreme Court and criminal investigation (OIJ) buildings. The National Museum and modernist Supreme Court, on Plaza Justicía, are linked by a pedestrian precinct, Boulevard Ricardo Jiménez, known colloquially as Camino de la Corte, with shade trees, wrought-iron lampposts, and benches.