Facing the southern edge of the central plaza is the Casa de Montejo, once the home of Francisco de Montejo “El Mozo” (The Younger). The building was constructed in 1549 by Maya slaves. Note the carvings of Spaniards standing at attention with their feet firmly planted on the heads of the Mayas—a lasting reminder of Spanish tyranny.
Until the mid-1800s, 13 generations of Montejos lived in the house. Afterward, it changed hands several times until to it was sold to Banamex in 1980. Today, the bank takes up the entire structure; the enormous interior courtyard can be seen during banking hours (9 a.m.–4 p.m. Mon.–Fri., 10 a.m.–2 p.m. Sat.).