19 S. 10th St., 215/922-3807
HOURS: Tues.–Thurs. 11 a.m.–4:30 p.m. or by appt.
St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church is the only church designed by William Strickland, Philadelphia’s leading colonial architect, that remains standing in Philadelphia  today. Completed in 1823, it was modeled after St. Stephen’s Church in Vienna and was enlarged in 1878 by architect Frank Furness, responsible for the ornate stencils on the walls.
The church’s design marked the end of the neoclassical style and was one of the earliest examples of what became known as Gothic revival architecture.
The site also happens to be where Benjamin Franklin flew the first kite.