1723 Race St., 215/561-1313
HOURS: Daily 8 a.m.–5 p.m., call for mass times
The Cathedral-Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul on the east side of Logan Circle is Philadelphia’s  largest brownstone and probably its most architecturally impressive Italian Renaissance structure.
Home to the Archdiocese of Philadelphia and built 1846–1864, it was modeled after the Lombard Church of St. Charles (San Carla al Corso) in Rome. Four massive Corinthian columns, a vaulted copper dome, and eight side chapels only hint at the church’s grandeur. Constantino Brumidi, also credited with painting the dome of the Capitol in Washington, led the design team.
The ornate cathedral accommodates 2,000 people. The Crypt of the Bishops in the lower level holds the bodies of six Philadelphia bishops and archbishops.