Continuing east, don’t miss a chance to climb the tower at the Point Iroquois Light Station (906/437-5272, 9 a.m.–5 p.m. daily mid-May–mid-Oct., free), where Whitefish Bay narrows into the St. Mary’s River.
Since 1855, a beacon here has helped guide ships through this extremely difficult passage, where reefs lurk near the Canadian shore and the rock walls of Point Iroquois threaten on the Michigan side. In 1871, the original wooden light tower was replaced with the present one, a classic white-painted brick structure. A keeper’s home was added in 1902.
With fewer and fewer lighthouses open to the public, it’s fun to climb the iron spiral staircase for a freighter-captain’s view of the river, the bay, and frequent shipping traffic. Stop in the adjacent light keeper’s home, too, where the local historical society has restored some rooms to illustrate the life of a light keeper; other rooms feature displays and old photos.
The Point Iroquois Light and adjacent beach are now part of the Hiawatha National Forest (www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/hiawatha ), which should help ensure continued protection.