Not to be confused with the home of the Palmetto State’s legislative branch, the State House , the executive branch is headquartered at the Governor’s Mansion and Green (1800 Richland St., 803/737-1710, www.scgovernorsmansion.org , gardens open Mon.–Fri. 9 a.m.–5 p.m., free), a complex of structures on the attractively landscaped nine-acre grounds.
Built in 1855 as the Arsenal Military Academy, the building, which now houses the governor and family, survived the burning of the city in 1865 and hosted its first chief executive in 1869.
The guest quarters next door, the 1855 Lace House, was purchased in 1968. The 1830 Caldwell-Boylston House, also on the grounds, was bought by the state in 1978 and now houses staff offices and a nice gift shop for visitors to the Mansion and grounds. The six rooms of the Mansion open to the public contain an impressive collection of furnishings and artwork from various eras. Call to line up a free tour.