A number of websites about Honduras have sprung up in recent years, many created by Hondurans living in other countries. As with just about any topic, the Internet can be an invaluable tool for learning about current conditions in Honduras and contacting other people interested in the country (as well, of course, a source of wild misinformation). Here are just a few suggestions to get you started—links from these sites will open up a world of information on Honduras to the web surfer.
- A general clearinghouse, with plenty of its own information as well as links to many other sites.
- Republica de Honduras
- Essentially a book online, with extensive information about Honduras , in Spanish only.
- U.S. State Department
- U.S. Embassy
- For U.S.-government-produced information on Honduras.
- Honduras This Week
- Contains an excellent archive of the weekly English newspaper Honduras This Week.
- La Prensa
- Hablemos Claro
- If your Spanish is up for it, the daily newspaper La Prensa and the weekly magazine Hablemos Claro both have good websites.
- Honduras Tips
- The online version of Honduras ’s bilingual travel guide, Honduras Tips. Not always up to date, but generally useful.
- Yahoo Group
- This Yahoo group is made up of people living in or planning to move to Honduras and is chock-full of helpful practical tips as well as hotel recommendations.
NGOs and Volunteering in Honduras
- An international volunteer website with many links in Honduras .
- Project Honduras
- Offers a wealth of socially oriented information, with many links to national and international social organizations working in Honduras.
Economic and Social Statistics and Information
- Banco Central de Honduras
- Inter-American Development Bank
- Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe
- Birds of Honduras
- Lots of information about species, locations, and tours for birding, by one of Honduras ’s expert birders, Robert Gallardo.