211 East Blvd., Charlotte
There are other homes in Dilworth that are as beautiful as the Walter Brem House, but few are as historic. The symmetrical facade, multiple columned porches, and ornate front doors make the home one of the earliest and finest examples of Colonial Revival architecture in the city.
Charlotte’s first architect, Charles Christian Hook, designed the house in 1902 for Walter Brem and Hannah Caldwell Brem. The couple paid $6,045.86 for the home and lived there until 1912 when they bought a smaller home just one block away. The home was vacant for a period before being sold to Regger D. Craver in 1914 for $9,000. Craver was one of the largest individual theater owners in the South and considered a pioneer in the motion picture business in the Carolinas.
In 1931, during the Great Depression, the home was sold at a foreclosure sale. It had several owners in the coming years until Mae King Blume purchased the home; she converted it into apartments and lived in one of the units until the 1980s. It was then converted back into a single-family home and is still maintained as a private residence.