“The oldest street in America with its original buildings” is now a National Historic Landmark. Along its cool and shady time-ripened blocks stand six stone houses built in the early 1700s, as well as a reconstructed 1717 French church and cemetery, a 1799 house, a library, and museum.
All official walking tours of the street begin at the 1705 DuBois Fort Information Center on Huguenot Street between Broadhead Avenue and North Front Street. A small museum there documents the street’s history. Houses on the tours include the Abraham Hasbrouck House—once the village’s social center—and the Bevier-Elting House.
The most interesting house is the Jean Hasbrouck House, which contains much original woodwork and a beautiful “jambless” fireplace. Downstairs are rooms that once served as a tavern and general store, while upstairs are period furnishings, including a “senility cradle” used for the old and infirm.
Huguenot Street is run by the Huguenot Historical Society (18 Broadhead Ave., 845/255-1889 [tours] or 845/255-1660 [office], www.huguenotstreet.org ), which includes among its members many descendants of the original families. The society offers walking tours of the street 10 a.m.–5 p.m. Tuesday–Sunday May–October, with the last tours leaving at 4 p.m. The standard tour lasts 90 minutes (adults $10, seniors $9, children 6–17 $5, families $24); an abbreviated tour lasts 55 minutes (adults $7, seniors $6, children 6–17 $3, families $17).
During the Colonial Street Festival, held on Huguenot Street the second Saturday of August, all the houses are open and various Colonial-era skills, such as quilting and musket firing, are demonstrated.