There are all kinds of hotel experiences to be had in the Puerto Vallarta region. For those who really just want to get away from it all and do nothing in beautiful isolation, here are a few options.
- Hotelito Desconocido (Jalisco Coast), two hours south of Puerto Vallarta, is hands-down one of the most beautiful hotels in Mexico, and it’s about as far away from it all as you can get.
- Majahuitas Resort (Bay of Banderas), on the beach between Yelapa and Quimixto, can only be reached by boat. It’s a perfect getaway with fantastic views of the bay stretching north to Punta Mita.
- Hotel Playa Escondida (Nayarit Coast), five minutes, two miles (3 km), and a million light years south of Sayulita, features its own little beach and cove; a fabulous spa; a few dozen individually designed, luxuriously rustic guest rooms; and a lush, verdant setting that is about as romantic as can be.
- Tailwind Jungle Lodge (Nayarit Coast), a couple of miles north of San Pancho up a seasonal dirt road, offers tents on platforms and palapa-roofed casitas flanked by pools and yoga platforms. All are carefully sited in a hillside forest tumbling down to a beautiful isolated beach.
- Hotel Rincón del Cielo (Nayarit Coast), on the hill above the beach at Punta Raza, is way off the beaten path and off the grid, having its own solar and propane power sources, and offers access to the long, empty Playa Punta Raza and its neighboring bird-filled lagoon. This fabulous beach is slated for development, but nothing is going on to date. It is fenced, gated, and guarded, but it’s open to guests of the hotel. Imagine a five-mile (8-km) beach with no one on it: It’s yours.
Excerpted from the Tenth Edition of Moon Puerto Vallarta.