Buy Moon Blue Ridge & Smoky Mountains
Second Edition, September 2016
Price: $19.99 USD
Price: $13.99 USD
The soulful twang of bluegrass, miles of untouched wilderness, and warm and welcoming locals: journey through the storied heart of Appalachia with Moon Blue Ridge & Smoky Mountains.
What you’ll find in Moon Blue Ridge & Smoky Mountains:
- Full coverage of the Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains regions of North Carolina and Tennessee, including Great Smoky Mountains National Park
- Full-color photos and detailed maps throughout
- Strategic itineraries for every budget and timeline, from a weekend getaway to a week-long road trip
- Curated trip advice for outdoor adventurers, history buffs, culture mavens, wildlife enthusiasts, and more
- Must-see attractions and off-beat ideas for making the most of your trip: Hike past waterfalls to rocky bluffs overlooking the misty mountain range, or go for a refreshing dip in the river. Zip-line through wild forests, spot eagles, elk, and bear cubs, or try your hand at fly-fishing. Ride the coasters at Dollywood, gain insight into Native American history in Cherokee, and explore Asheville’s wealth of live music and culinary creativity. Find the best spots for classic southern barbecue, sip a little moonshine, and listen to a bluegrass band as the sun sets and the fireflies come out for a sparkling evening show
- Suggestions for a Blue Ridge Parkway road trip, including the best scenic stops organized by milepost
- Honest advice from Appalachia native and North Carolina local Jason Frye on when to go, what to pack, and where to stay, from charming B&Bs to secluded cabins and campgrounds
- Detailed hike descriptions with individual trail maps listing duration, elevation change, and effort
- Recommendations for families, LGBTQ+ travelers, international visitors, and travelers with disabilities
- Thorough background on the wildlife, terrain, culture, and history
With Moon’s local insight, myriad activities, and expert advice on experiencing the best of the Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains, you can plan your trip your way.
Full list of coverage: North Carolina High Country, Asheville, Southern Blue Ridge and Foothills, Cherokee and Maggie Valley, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Knoxville and the Tennessee Foothills
Raised deep in the mountains of West Virginia, Jason Frye first fell in love with North Carolina as a kid during family vacations to the Outer Banks. In 2002, he swapped his mountains for sand dunes and his river for an ocean when he moved to Wilmington to pursue a master of fine arts in creative writing. There, his love for North Carolina deepened into a longing to stay, settle, explore, and be a part of the people, culture, and history of the state.
Along with his wife, Lauren, Jason has kayaked the marshes and waterways near his home; hang glided off the Outer Banks; explored the cityscapes of Charlotte, Raleigh, and Winston-Salem; and wandered the woods and wilds around Asheville.
A member of the Society of American Travel Writers, Jason has contributed stories to VisitNC.com, AAA’s Go Magazine, Our State magazine, Southern Living, Salt, the Charlotte Observer and Raleigh News & Observer, and acts as a culinary critic for the Wilmington StarNews.