Buy Moon California
First Edition, January 2017
Price: $23.99 USD
Price: $14.99 USD
Moon’s California travel guide shows both locals and newcomers alike how to explore the very best of the larger-than-life Golden State, from cities, to mountains, to coastline.
What You’ll Find in Moon California:
- Expert advicefrom Golden State connoisseur Elizabeth Linhart Veneman
- Itineraries for every timeline and budget, from two days in San Francisco to two weeks on the road, including: The Best of California in One Week, Wine Country, Shasta and Lassen, The Best of Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Sequoia, and Kings Canyon, Palm Springs and the Deserts, and Las Vegas
- In-depth coverageof the major cities, including San Francisco, Los Angeles, and San Diego
- Bonus coverage of Las Vegasfor travelers and California locals alike looking to explore more of the West Coast
- Full-color, easy-to-navigate mapswith vibrant, helpful photos
- Ideas for every traveler and every season:indulge your inner oenophile in California’s world-renowned wine country, or ski the pristine slopes of Squaw Valley. Walk among the giants of Redwood National Forest, or catch a glimpse of the migrating whales at Bodega Bay. Explore the eccentricities of San Francisco’s celebrated art galleries, or sample award-winning tacos in Los Angeles. Discover which beaches are local surfer favorites, and find the best spots for cocktails, dining, and dancing
- Honest adviceon finding accommodations and getting around by car or by public transportation
- Reliable informationon California’s history, culture, weather, and diverse landscape
Get to know the best of the West on your own terms with Moon California’s practical tips, myriad activities and local insight on the top things to do and see.
Full list of coverage: San Francisco, Wine Country, the North Coast, Shasta and Lassen, Lake Tahoe, Sacramento and Gold Country, Yosemite, Sequoia, and Kings Canyon, Monterey and Big Sur, Santa Barbara and the Central Coast, Los Angeles, San Diego, Palm Springs and the Deserts, and Las Vegas
Elizabeth Linhart Veneman
Elizabeth Linhart Veneman has always viewed growing up in Northern California as both a blessing and curse. There is so much to see, do, and experience all within a short drive—from broad sequoias in the Sierras to ancient lava beds north of Mount Shasta, from creaky Gold Rush towns to the pampering Wine Country—that she began to wonder why anyone would ever leave.
Elizabeth was eventually lured out of the Golden State to Alaska’s far north, where she traveled the Inside Passage, baked bread under the midnight sun in Denali National Park, and chronicled the state’s burgeoning sustainable agriculture for Alaska Magazine. These adventures culminated in penning the travel guide InsightGuides: Alaska.
But Elizabeth knew her California roots were too deep to stay away for long. Raised in Carmel, where her great-great grandmother opened the first restaurant (a soup kitchen with dirt floors!) at the turn of the 20th century, she would always call California home. So she returned and devoted herself to writing about the state she loves most. Her work has included the travel guides SmartGuide: San Francisco and InsightGuides: San Francisco, as well as reporting on food and sustainable agriculture for local publications.
Elizabeth is still enchanted by Northern California’s wondrous melding of natural splendor with cultural charm. She currently lives with her family in San Francisco’s Richmond district.