Buy Moon Great Smoky Mountains National Park
First Edition, May 2017
Price: $17.99 USD
Price: $13.99 USD
From majestic mountaintops to lush forests and untouched wilderness, take in the best of the Smokies with Moon Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
Moon Great Smoky Mountains National Park features:
- Itineraries for every timeline and budget, ranging from one day in the park to a week-long trip, including: Best of the Smokies, Family Fun, Escape the Crowds, and Best Hikes
- Strategies for getting around the Great Smoky Mountains, avoiding crowds, and exploring the less-visited areas of the park
- In-depth coverage of gateway cities and towns in both Tennessee and North Carolina, including Gatlinburg, Asheville, Pigeon Forge, and Knoxville, as well as worthwhile stops like Cherokee, Bryson City, and Maggie Valley
- Full-color, vibrant photos and detailed maps throughout
- Expert tips for travelers looking to go hiking, biking, zip-lining, rafting, and more, plus essential packing and health and safety information
- The top activities and unique ideas for exploring the park: Cruise along Newfound Gap Road for epic views and scenic overlooks, try your hand at fly-fishing, and enjoy the refreshing solitude of a night camping under the stars. Hike to beautiful waterfalls, catch a glimpse of the buzzing fireflies, and sample a little local moonshine. Visit remnants of the region’s historic settlements, spot local wildlife, or explore the bustling nearby cities
- Valuable insight from nature lover and Smoky Mountains aficionado Jason Frye
- Honest advice on where to stay inside and outside the park, including the best spots to pitch a tent, park your RV, or relax at an upscale resort
- Up-to-date information on park fees, passes, and reservations
- Recommendations for families, LGBTQ+ travelers, seniors, international visitors, travelers with disabilities, and traveling with pets
- Thorough background on the wildlife, terrain, culture, and history
Though Jason Frye calls the coast of North Carolina home, his heart is with the mountains. Born and raised in the rugged Appalachian foothills in southern West Virginia, he developed an affinity for hiking and exploring the woods, coves, and hollows of the hills. His family vacationed in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
His love for this landscape deepens with each visit. Jason and his wife Lauren spend as much time as possible exploring the outdoors: wandering the woods and wilds, kayaking the marshes and waterways, and even hang gliding.
Jason is the author of several Moon guidebooks, including Moon North Carolina and Moon Blue Ridge Parkway Road Trip. He also contributes to Salt magazine, AAA Go!, Our State and Our State Eats food blog, the Wilmington StarNews-where he is a features contributor and dining critic-the Raleigh News and Observer, the Charlotte Observer, the blog of Virgin Atlantic Airlines, and a number of other print and online publications.