Buy Moon Mexico City
Sixth Edition, October 2016
Price: $21.99 USD
Price: $13.99 USD
Experience the Life of the City
Baroque palaces and energetic streets, old-school taquerías and contemporary art: these are the contrasts that define the beguiling and frenetic metropolis that is Mexico City.
- Explore the City: Navigate by neighborhood or by activity with color-coded maps, making it easy to find what you want to do and where you need to be.
- See the Sights: Follow guided walks through the liveliest neighborhoods. See the ruins of Tenochtitlán at the Museo del Templo Mayor, or visit Frida Khalo’s childhood home. Explore the color and bustle of Mercado de la Merced, admire the sleek modernity of Mexico City’s contemporary art museum, or take a day trip to see the temples of Teotihuacán.
- Get a Taste of the City: Sample your way through the city’s famous food scene from charming cantinas to cutting-edge cuisine, and polish it off with traditional pulque.
- Bars and Nightlife: A dazzling array of traditional dance halls, chic nightclubs, and hip mezcal-centric hideaways means that Mexico City parties well after the sun goes down.
- Trusted Advice: Local author and expat Julie Meade shares her cultural and artistic expertise on her adopted city.
- Itineraries and Day Trips: All accessible by bus, train, or public transit, head out to Cuernavaca or the ruins of Teotihuacán, or follow itineraries like The Best of Mexico City, Market Saturday, or Mexico City with Kids.
- Maps and Tools: Moon provides background information on the landscape, history, and culture of Mexico City, as well as vibrant, helpful photos and an easy-to-read foldout map to use on the go, packaged in a book light enough to toss in your bag.
With Moon Mexico City‘s practical tips, myriad activities, and an insiders view on the best things to do and see, you can plan your trip your way.
Includes coverage of the following neighborhoods: Centro Histórico, Alameda Central, Paseo de la Reforma, Chapultepec and Polanco, Roma and Condesa, and Coyoacán and San Ángel
Covers day trips to: Teotihuacán, Downtown Puebla, Taxco, and Cuernavaca
Julie Doherty Meade grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area and spent her childhood hiking, camping, and traveling throughout the Golden State. After graduating from college, she took her first trip to Mexico, where she was immediately drawn to the country’s warm people and fascinating culture. The following year, Julie returned to Mexico and decided to extend her stay indefinitely.
For almost ten years, Julie lived, worked, and traveled throughout Mexico. She saw Zapatista leader Subcomandante Marcos speak to a crowd in San Cristóbal de las Casas, helped run a fine-art gallery in San Miguel de Allende, and taught English to five-year-olds in Mexico City. During her years in the capital, she was schooled in advanced Mexican slang, developed a strong affinity for early-morning café con leche in old Chinese coffee shops, and spent hours seeking out the best bookstores, most interesting architecture, and tastiest bites in the city’s diverse neighborhoods.
Julie currently lives in Brooklyn with her husband, Arturo, her son, Mariano, and her Chihuahua, Tequila. She writes and copyedits for several New York publications and visits Mexico every chance she gets. Julie is also the author of Moon San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato & the Bajío and Moon Living Abroad in Mexico.